Explore the Cape Arago Beach Loop
With so much to explore along the Southern Oregon Coast, we felt the need to create a series of itineraries to help Oregon Coast visitors make the most of their time here.
The Cape Arago Beach Loop is a wonderful way to experience a variety of natural Pacific Coast beauty in a number of settings. This loop will take you to beaches and state parks where you can take in the breathtaking vantage points and see the famous seals and sea lions on the Oregon Coast. Be sure to dress comfortably and bring your camera! What you will see:
- Bastendorff Beach: Never crowded and always beautiful, Bastendorff Beach is a must see for beach enthusiasts. Note: this recently became a day-use only beach.
- Sunset Bay State Park: Sunset Bay Park features beautiful sandy beaches protected by towering sea cliffs.
- Cape Arago Lighthouse Viewpoint: There is no public access but there are great views from the viewpoint located on Cape Arago Loop and the Oregon Coast Trail.
- Shore Acres State Park & Botanical Gardens: Shore Acres is an unexpected combination of beautiful natural and man-made features.
- Simpson Beach: You’ll find crashing waves, migrating whales, and views of hundreds of seals and sea lions and other wildlife. VERY IMPORTANT! Please do not bother the seal pups you may find on the beach. They are not lost, only waiting for mom to return.
- Shell Island Interpretive Stop: Part of the Oregon Islands National Wildlife Refuge, Shell Island and the surrounding reefs provide breeding and rest areas for sea birds and Marine mammals. The Interpretive Stop gives you a chance to view them all. Bring your binoculars for the best viewing!
- Cape Arago State Park: Located at the end of Cape Arago Highway, you’ll find rugged cliffs and trails leading to a secluded cove, tidepools full of a variety of sea life, and a view of offshore colonies of seals and sea lions.
How to Explore The Cape Arago Beach Loop
From Hwy 101, head west on Newmark Avenue (just south of The Mill Casino). Follow the road until you reach the Stop sign at the End, follow the signs and turn left onto Cape Arago Hwy. Follow this road, once you cross the bridge into Charleston, the road will fork; veer to the right to head for the docks, or veer to the left to follow the Cape Arago Beach Loop. This road will eventually loop back around. Enjoy the views and pull over often!
For Complete Details, Download our PDF Guide for the Cape Arago Beach Loop
Bonus! While you are on your adventure, be sure to stop and visit some of the local stores and markets you will find along the way. Here are some of our top picks:
Cranberry Sweets: Candy and Gifts. All candies are made by hand, using only the finest natural ingredients. Free samples of products are always in good supply. 1005 Newmark Ave Coos Bay, OR 97420
Chuck’s Seafood: Fresh seafood and more….91135 Boat Basin Drive Charleston, OR 97420 (541) 888-5525
Fishermen’s Wharf: Floating Seafood Market Known for their Dungeness crab. Charleston Boat Basin, Dock D Charleston, OR 97420
If you explore the Cape Arago Beach Loop and send us your feedback and photos on our blog or in Facebook! We would love to hear about your experience and suggestions and ideas for future itineraries!